Skip to main content

The Craziest Christmas Trip EVER

So, we're at the end of the year! YAY!  My last post about 2010 HAS to be about our crazy Christmas trip to Arizona.  For actual Christmas, we were at my Grandma Anderson's house with all my aunts, uncles, and cousins, which was AWESOME because it was just like my Christmas trips to Utah when I was growing up.  Pictures of this will have to come later, because they are on my old camera.

Anyway, a day or so later (I can't remember which), I embarked on the Faulk family tradition of going to Phoenix, Arizona right after Christmas to visit Daniel's Aunt Susie and Uncle Brian.  Let me just say, this trip did not go as planned.

First of all, we had THIS new, non-trained puppy in the car...the golden, smaller one :)

When we pulled into Las Vegas on the way down, she had pooped all over in her cage, and had smeared it all over herself.  The smell was horrific.  Throughout the trip, she continued to poop all over Aunt Susie and Uncle Brian's house.  Good thing they have 5 dogs and are used to it.

Now, Vegas was just not a lucky place for us.  Right before we got to Vegas, the Expedition started dragging some piece of car-nonsense on the highway, so we had to stop to tear it off.  Then, we got to Vegas, cleaned out all the doggy poop, and headed back on I-15.  This tranquility was short-lived, however.  The Expedition started put-putting and clicking and doing all sorts of things that even a non-car-trained dummy like me knew was bad.

So, we put-putted off the next exit and eventually got the car to an auto mechanic.  He informed us that the put-putting and clicking was indeed bad.  It would cost a lot more to fix the problem than the car was worth.  So, we were stranded in Vegas with no car.  Well, let me rephrase.  We had a totaled car that we didn't know what to do with and no functioning car to get to Arizona with.

We started calling every car rental agency in Las Vegas.  Unfortunately, it was the week of New Years and every place was fresh out of rentals.  We even had my dad calling every Ford dealership in the area.  Finally, we found an escape at a rental agency that they were willing to rent to us for a ridiculously high price--go figure.  So, we put-putted over to the rental agency, picked up the Escape, put-putted the Expedition to the airport long-term parking, and continued on our way to Phoenix--5 hours later.

When we got to Phoenix, we discovered that it was not the sunny, warm getaway we had been expecting.  It was 50 degrees and windy.  While we were there they had their first snow in over 20 years.  We just felt so tickled to have experienced such a miracle!  Not.

Anyway, the next day Daniel's brother Joseph and his dad drove back to Vegas to drop off the Escape and drove back in Joseph's car.  This obviously took an entire day off of their vacation.  The next two days of Daniel's parents' "vacation" were spent at a local Ford dealership buying a new car--an Escape.  Needless to say, this was not what they were expecting to do on their favorite trip of the year.  And this whole time Porsche, the new puppy, is pooping everywhere--just to give you the full picture.

Now, so far this had clearly been a pretty crazy trip.  Luckily, Aunt Susie and Uncle Brian are pretty awesome people, and they helped us have a BLAST despite all the drama.  We shopped like crazy!  Aunt Susie is an outlet goddess.  I got tons of stuff for my student teaching and several other excellent items from around the house the Susie wasn't using (like an pair of unused JCrew rainboots!).  This is a cute outfit (the picture doesn't do it justice...) for student teaching I got at the Banana Republic outlet:



We also went golfing.  Now, this was not a fantastic experience as it was freezing and windy, but we tried to make the best of it:


As you can see in the video below, I'm a pretty awesome beginning golfer!

 

We also pigged out and ate tons of fantastic food.  Joseph also ate a disgusting amount of fortune cookies:

There was tons of game-playing (the game of Poo is the BEST GAME EVER!) and chatting and movie-watching.  Everyone got to play with their new Christmas gadgets, and it was just nice to spend time with family--despite all the drama.  My favorite "people" to hang out with were these three:


So, in summary, Daniel and I were super sad that we didn't get to use this:


But we did get to see this:

And a LOT of this:

I can't wait to visit the fam in Phoenix again mostly because they're awesome, but also because there is no way the trip could ever be this crazy again!  Or could it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Birth Story--Riley James Faulk

 A warning in advance--this is really long and detailed, so if you don't want to read a detailed birth story (with pictures), then stop now!  This was an important record for me to make and I didn't want to spare any details. :) Technically the story of my labor begins on Riley’s due date: July 24, 2013.   Because I have to go back to school as a teacher very soon (my first meeting is August 14), I was desperate to see if I could use some “natural” methods to get the labor going.   So, on Wednesday, July 24 around ten in the morning I took about 1.5 ounces of castor oil, which is known to get labor kick started occasionally by basically freaking out your bowels so you have the runs—lovely.   I waited for a few hours but nothing happened at all.   Bummer.   My mother and sister came to Salt Lake and we celebrated Pioneer Day by going to temple square and having lunch at the Lion House.   After lunch I started to have some horrible pains in my stomach.   They didn’t feel l

Faulk Family Task List

Yup, that's just a dang fancy phrase for "chore chart." I decided this needed to happen.  I am so tired at the end of the day from working a full time teaching job plus three part-time theatre jobs that the LAST thing I want to do is clean.  So, I end up letting everything pile up until I literally dread coming home.  This results in a totally massive, totally random meltdown that usually ends with me scrubbing the whole apartment clean for hours.  I'm then in a MUCH better mood for a couple weeks until the cycle repeats itself. This had to stop. So, I created the Faulk Family Task List.  It lists the basic chores that need to be done around the house.  Some need to be done just once a week while others need to be done every day.  That's why I LOVE this cute chore chart template I found through Microsoft Office Online.  You can download the template HERE .  After I personalized it for what worked for our family, it looked like this:   I love how this temp

Cedar's Blessing Day

In our church, it is common practice for a baby to be be given a name and a blessing in church during their first few months of life.  This blessing is usually done by the baby's father.  (For more info on what a baby blessing entails, click  HERE ). Cedar Jane Faulk was blessed by her father on July 1, 2018.  We wanted her to be blessed when my parents could be there (my dad flew in from Shanghai), and as an added bonus, Daniel's parents were given permission to come home from their LDS mission in Orlando for a long weekend to attend the blessing!  It was very special for her to have both sets of grandparents there, as well as most of my aunts and uncles, sisters, and other friends. I will admit that Daniel and I felt a little bit of added pressure over this blessing as compared to our other kids' blessings.  It is common to hear babies blessed with things like health, marrying in the temple, etc.  For Cedar, all the "normal" things like that suddenly felt i