Skip to main content

34-Week Update

With the average post-fetal surgery baby being born at 34 weeks, we are super happy to have made it this far!  According to our doctors, every day we make it past 34 weeks is an awesome bonus.  I still plan on making it all the way to our scheduled c-section at 36 weeks, 5 days--June 7.  Yes, that is exactly TWO WEEKS AWAY!!!  Our whole family is SO EXCITED!

We have been doing our best to prepare the boys for Cedar's arrival.  Recently I got this book, and I keep it on the coffee table:


We have been pointing out the scar on the baby to the boys and explaining that Cedar is also going to have a scar on her back when she is born.  Now Miles comes up to me every day with the book and says, "Cedar has an owie" and points to the book.  I just don't want them shocked when they see it for the first time!

Right now I am still undergoing twice-a-week appointments.  On Tuesdays I have an ultrasound, a non-stress test, and a maternal-fetal-medicine appointment.  On Fridays I just have another NST.  The appointments can be long and tedious, but since I am on modified bedrest and can't drive myself anywhere, it at least gives me a place to go twice a week!

My twice-weekly recliner I chill in while doing the NSTs:


Some cute pictures of Cedar sucking on her hand during her 34-week ultrasound!  It was crazy!




Last week, we had a post-fetal surgery MRI.  Dr. Bolo (our pediatric neurosurgeon) now wants it to be standard at U of U to have one about 6 weeks or so after fetal surgery so they can see what changes have taken place.  

Going in for my third MRI:



We received the following results:

1.   First, the best news.  Cedar's Chiari II Malformation, where her cerebellum in her brain was sunken down and blocking the proper flow of spinal fluid, has 100% reversed.  Chiari II malformation can cause breathing or swallowing problems in kids, so having this completely reversed before she is even born is a fantastic blessing, and an outcome we were praying for after undergoing fetal surgery.  I have MRI pics of the before and after, but my computer doesn't like the file format, so I will try to add those later.

2. They can tell that her corpus callosum is underdeveloped in at least one section (see my last blog post for more about this).  She definitely has at least some of one, but it is very stretched.  There is nothing we can really do about this.  I am worried because the neurologist said that it is almost better to have no corpus callosum at all than to have a partial one, but in general I have heard that the brain works hard to form other pathways.  We have no way of knowing how exactly this will affect her learning/development or if it will end up affecting it at all.  They will be able to do much more detailed imaging after she is born, and especially when she is 1-year old and we have better clues to the rate of her development in many areas.

3. Her ventricles are, obviously, very large.  This might be the first time in our family that someone has had a part of their body called obese. Ha.  Because of their size and the way they are pointing (down I think?), Cedar can be at risk for septo-optic dysplasia.  If you google this, it looks really scary, but once again, it carries with it a HUGE spectrum of possibilities, and of course she may not even have it.  So, as I have had to do many times in the past few weeks with each piece of "potential" bad news, I decided to just put that out of my mind for now and worry about one thing at a time when she is actually born.

4. The MRI showed that Cedar has a tethered cord.  Sometimes when a tethered cord becomes symptomatic, spina bifida kids have to have it released through surgery.  Turns out though, all post-fetal surgery babies present with a tethered cord on MRI, so really this is nothing to worry about.  We will watch for actual symptoms of this when she gets older.  Some kids have to have multiple release surgeries for this, some never do.  We will see!

As you can see, this whole thing is full of scary terms that get thrown around followed by "but she might not have that" or "she might not be symptomatic," or "there is a huge spectrum for this issue."  Spina bifida is called a snowflake disorder because every kid has their own set of specific issues, and no two kids are the same.  There is something freeing in this, as it provides hope that your kid will be on the milder side of things, but it can also be difficult because you just WANT TO KNOW THINGS NOW.  Everything is "we'll see after she is born."  This can be hard to hear because I want to feel prepared.  

For now, my doctors are encouraging me to just enjoy these last two weeks of pregnancy and to put all the scary stuff out of my mind.  I am trying.  Daniel and I are almost done with Cedar's nursery (full post on that soon!) and I have been nesting like CRAZY!  When you're stuck at home you find there is a LOT to organize. Today Cedar's bunny and I tested out some of her gear:





We are so excited to meet this little girl in two weeks!  While this whole thing has been an emotional roller coaster, we know that Cedar was meant to join our family, and we will spend our whole lives working to be the best possible parents for her.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Birth Story--Riley James Faulk

 A warning in advance--this is really long and detailed, so if you don't want to read a detailed birth story (with pictures), then stop now!  This was an important record for me to make and I didn't want to spare any details. :) Technically the story of my labor begins on Riley’s due date: July 24, 2013.   Because I have to go back to school as a teacher very soon (my first meeting is August 14), I was desperate to see if I could use some “natural” methods to get the labor going.   So, on Wednesday, July 24 around ten in the morning I took about 1.5 ounces of castor oil, which is known to get labor kick started occasionally by basically freaking out your bowels so you have the runs—lovely.   I waited for a few hours but nothing happened at all.   Bummer.   My mother and sister came to Salt Lake and we celebrated Pioneer Day by going to temple square and having lunch at the Lion House.   After lunch I started to have some horrible pains in my stomach.   They didn’t feel l

Faulk Family Task List

Yup, that's just a dang fancy phrase for "chore chart." I decided this needed to happen.  I am so tired at the end of the day from working a full time teaching job plus three part-time theatre jobs that the LAST thing I want to do is clean.  So, I end up letting everything pile up until I literally dread coming home.  This results in a totally massive, totally random meltdown that usually ends with me scrubbing the whole apartment clean for hours.  I'm then in a MUCH better mood for a couple weeks until the cycle repeats itself. This had to stop. So, I created the Faulk Family Task List.  It lists the basic chores that need to be done around the house.  Some need to be done just once a week while others need to be done every day.  That's why I LOVE this cute chore chart template I found through Microsoft Office Online.  You can download the template HERE .  After I personalized it for what worked for our family, it looked like this:   I love how this temp

Chia Seeds...wha??

Two weeks ago, I had never heard of chia seeds.  This changed when I read this post on one of my favorite blogs, THE LITTLE RED HOUSE . It got me curious about these little, nutrition-packed seeds.  So, on my next trip to Whole Foods, I bought about 1/4 cup from the bulk bin.  I know this may seem like a pathetic amount, but these babies go for $15.99 a pound!  YOWZA!  I did see some packaged versions of the seeds that seemed to cost less than that per ounce.  I'll have to do more research. Lots of people around the blogosphere are experimenting with these seeds and finding different ways to use them.  I was intrigued by  THIS recipe for chia seed pudding (and check out the other awesome breakfast ideas on that link!).  I had heard that chia seeds soaked in water turn to gel, so I followed the extremely easy recipe, and BAM!  Chia seed pudding.  Here is how I did it: Step 1: Mix 1/4 cup chia seeds with 2/3 cup water.  Stir for at least 3-4 minutes, until the mixture become