Skip to main content

Student Teaching...in a teeny weeny nutshell.

OK, so trying to explain/recap my entire student teaching experience in one post is ridiculous.  It's times like this that I get REALLY mad at myself for being such a blogging slacker because now there are hundreds of awesome stories that will never get put to paper (or to web...?) because I won't possibly be able to remember them all.  Luckily, I wrote a weekly reflection as part of my student teaching assignments, but even those are not very detailed.  Oh well, I guess I'll do what I can to give you an idea what my student teaching experience was like...

First of all, let me say that my student teaching experience was INCREDIBLE!  I student taught at Hillcrest High School in Midvale, UT.  Daniel and I moved from Provo to Midvale to make this a bit easier.  We're living in our cute Midvale basement apartment until we get jobs elsewhere.

One of the things that made my student teaching so incredible was this guy:

Mr. Joshua Long was my mentor teacher and the resident drama teacher at Hillcrest.  I was incredibly lucky to get paired with someone who I actually enjoyed being around and truly respected.  I learned SO much from him!

Another thing that set my student teaching experience apart--both the quantity and quality of shows we put up.  We did 2 straight plays, 1 musical, 1 one-act and coached about 40 students for both the region and state drama competitions.  CRAZY! 
The first show: Metamorphoses by Mary Zimmerman

Complete with Mount Olympus:

A 9-foot waterfall:
And a 16-foot pool (with secret entrances so actors could enter and exit the pool without being seen)...all on stage:


The second show: Time of My Life by Alan Ayckbourn

This was a dinner theater performance where we served a 3-course dinner during the show:


Next was the region and state competitions.  Let's just say we did pretty dang well.

1st place Comedic Monologue:

1st Place Dramatic Monologue:

2nd Place Comedic Monologue:

2nd Place Contemporary Scene:

First Place One-Act (more about that later), and basically all of these....

Here was our whole team after dominating (a.k.a. winning the Sweepstakes):

The one-act we did was called The Laramie Project.  It's a full-length play, but we cut it down to one-act length.  The play is about the murder of Matthew Shepherd in Laramie, Wyoming.  The students were AMAZING.  Two of them won outstanding performance awards at the region competition, and the whole show won Best Drama at state.  We were also invited to perform the show in front of all the principals and many administrators in the Canyons School District, which was an incredibly special experience.  The kids just gave so much and were successful at conveying a difficult but important message:

Here are a few photos from a rehearsal of The Laramie Project:




Next show: The Wedding Singer, the musical:


Basically, I spent a LOT of time after school co-directing all these amazing shows!  The time was worth it though, because I learned a ton, and I don't think I would have gained as much experience if I hadn't committed to all the after-school time.  Of course, I didn't just put on shows...I taught!

I taught Theatre 1 (my hardest class), 2 sections of Theatre 3/4/IB, and towards the end I took over Theatre 2.  I also helped out with Stage Crew and of course with the Productions Company, which is the group of kids that acted in several of the shows I described above.  

Here are some of the Productions Company girls with the poster they had everyone contribute to.  It was titled "101 Things We Love About Mrs. Faulk"


 My Theatre 2 class:

One of my Theatre 3/4/IB classes.  Yea, that was a SMALL class!

Basically, there is SO much I could say about student teaching.  I seriously just want to kick myself for not blogging about it, but maybe I'll share random stories as I think about them once I'm caught up.  For now, I guess this is good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Birth Story--Riley James Faulk

 A warning in advance--this is really long and detailed, so if you don't want to read a detailed birth story (with pictures), then stop now!  This was an important record for me to make and I didn't want to spare any details. :) Technically the story of my labor begins on Riley’s due date: July 24, 2013.   Because I have to go back to school as a teacher very soon (my first meeting is August 14), I was desperate to see if I could use some “natural” methods to get the labor going.   So, on Wednesday, July 24 around ten in the morning I took about 1.5 ounces of castor oil, which is known to get labor kick started occasionally by basically freaking out your bowels so you have the runs—lovely.   I waited for a few hours but nothing happened at all.   Bummer.   My mother and sister came to Salt Lake and we celebrated Pioneer Day by going to temple square and having lunch at the Lion House.   After lunch I started to have some horrible pains in my stomach.   They didn’t feel l

Faulk Family Task List

Yup, that's just a dang fancy phrase for "chore chart." I decided this needed to happen.  I am so tired at the end of the day from working a full time teaching job plus three part-time theatre jobs that the LAST thing I want to do is clean.  So, I end up letting everything pile up until I literally dread coming home.  This results in a totally massive, totally random meltdown that usually ends with me scrubbing the whole apartment clean for hours.  I'm then in a MUCH better mood for a couple weeks until the cycle repeats itself. This had to stop. So, I created the Faulk Family Task List.  It lists the basic chores that need to be done around the house.  Some need to be done just once a week while others need to be done every day.  That's why I LOVE this cute chore chart template I found through Microsoft Office Online.  You can download the template HERE .  After I personalized it for what worked for our family, it looked like this:   I love how this temp

Cedar's Blessing Day

In our church, it is common practice for a baby to be be given a name and a blessing in church during their first few months of life.  This blessing is usually done by the baby's father.  (For more info on what a baby blessing entails, click  HERE ). Cedar Jane Faulk was blessed by her father on July 1, 2018.  We wanted her to be blessed when my parents could be there (my dad flew in from Shanghai), and as an added bonus, Daniel's parents were given permission to come home from their LDS mission in Orlando for a long weekend to attend the blessing!  It was very special for her to have both sets of grandparents there, as well as most of my aunts and uncles, sisters, and other friends. I will admit that Daniel and I felt a little bit of added pressure over this blessing as compared to our other kids' blessings.  It is common to hear babies blessed with things like health, marrying in the temple, etc.  For Cedar, all the "normal" things like that suddenly felt i