Skip to main content

A Very Short But Romantic Weekend

Daniel came home last weekend, and we had a fun-filled (although short) weekend.  Daniel got home Thursday afternoon, and I had a welcome home sign waiting for him:



We spent the afternoon making out lounging while Daniel finished up his computer work.  Then, I cooked him a freakin awesome dinner!  I don't eat meat, but let me tell you I am AMAZING at cooking it!  Observe:

 Those are some amazing drumsticks!  The sauce was so easy.  Here is the recipe (my notes are in blue):

Ingredients

  • 3 pounds chicken thighs (or whatever kind of chicken you want!)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup corn syrup
  • 1 pinch garlic powder

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Rinse the chicken pieces and place them, single layer and skin side up, in a 9x13 inch baking dish.  I put the chicken on a rack that was on a baking sheet (see picture above) so that the chicken wouldn't get soggy sitting in its own juices. 
  3. Mix the soy sauce, ketchup, corn syrup and garlic powder in a small bowl. Baste the chicken with the sauce, reserving some sauce for basting during baking. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven, basting approximately every 15 minutes, for 1 hour (or until chicken is done and juices run clear). I cooked them for a full hour...
 Super easy, right?  Daniel really liked them so...success!  Daniel also enjoyed using a gift to him from my mother: a de-corner, as I call it.  He doesn't like eating corn on the cob, so this shreds it off for you.  See:
After dinner, we went Father's Day shopping and watched Salt on Netflix.  We spent all day Friday going to the Utah Valley Parade of Homes.  We've done it before and loved it, so we made a day of it.  We saw 14 of the 20 homes.  My favorite was the Connecticut house, which you can see professional photos of HERE.  I'll probably post my pics of it later, but that should work for now.  Seriously, it was my DREAM HOUSE!  Daniel's favorite was this amazing mountain meets modern home in Lehi.  It was definitely my second favorite:


 
 
 It was stunning!  It made us a bit envious of you know, everyone who can afford these homes, but whatever.  We can dream, right?  Friday night, we saw the musical Rent at the Pioneer Theater Company in Salt Lake.  Daniel's parents give us some of their tickets sometimes, which is awesome.  The show, unfortunately, was not.  I love Rent, but this was not a good production.  I was bored and uninspired, and I didn't cry once.  Fail.  Daniel fell asleep and cursed the theater the whole way home.  Poor guy.

Saturday morning (as in, I got up at 5:30am kind of morning) we helped Daniel's brother Joseph and his wife Annie move all of their things out of a storage unit to their moving truck.  They're moving to Washington D.C.  Jealous.  The rest of the day I hung out with them (Daniel took a very random nap), helped them pack, and just chilled.  Then, we had a big brithday dinner for Grandpa Faulk and said goodbye to Joseph and Annie.  

After the birthday dinner, we went to my friend Aurora's wedding reception in Salt Lake.  I know this is getting long, but it was seriously the most packed weekend ever.  Aurora's reception was gorgeous, unique, and awesome.  Here are a few picture of the decor:




 
On Sunday we went to church and just chilled.  We had dinner at Daniel's parents house then snuggled on our couch while watching Robin Hood Men in Tights--classic!  This is almost done...I promise.  

On Monday, we crossed off one of our Before-We-Leave-Utah-We-Want-To _______ List items.  We went to the Living Planet Aquarium, which is right near our house.  We had a great time looking at all the animals and, of course, just spending time together.

Can you spot a giant anaconda in this picture?

Daniel and a penguin...he LOVED the penguins!

Camee and a penguin!

Just a penguin...

If you're still reading this, I'm amazed.  After we got home from the aquarium, Daniel had to leave to go back to Wyoming.  He's in Cody now.  He'll be back around July 14th for--the HARRY POTTER PREMIERE!  We have tickets for 12:45am with our best buds Emily and Jason.  Can't wait!  I miss Daniel, so I'm trying to find ways to be less bored during the day, and it's not going well.  23 days until he comes home!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Birth Story--Riley James Faulk

 A warning in advance--this is really long and detailed, so if you don't want to read a detailed birth story (with pictures), then stop now!  This was an important record for me to make and I didn't want to spare any details. :) Technically the story of my labor begins on Riley’s due date: July 24, 2013.   Because I have to go back to school as a teacher very soon (my first meeting is August 14), I was desperate to see if I could use some “natural” methods to get the labor going.   So, on Wednesday, July 24 around ten in the morning I took about 1.5 ounces of castor oil, which is known to get labor kick started occasionally by basically freaking out your bowels so you have the runs—lovely.   I waited for a few hours but nothing happened at all.   Bummer.   My mother and sister came to Salt Lake and we celebrated Pioneer Day by going to temple square and having lunch at the Lion House.   After lunch I started to have some horrible pains in my stomach.   They didn’t feel l

Faulk Family Task List

Yup, that's just a dang fancy phrase for "chore chart." I decided this needed to happen.  I am so tired at the end of the day from working a full time teaching job plus three part-time theatre jobs that the LAST thing I want to do is clean.  So, I end up letting everything pile up until I literally dread coming home.  This results in a totally massive, totally random meltdown that usually ends with me scrubbing the whole apartment clean for hours.  I'm then in a MUCH better mood for a couple weeks until the cycle repeats itself. This had to stop. So, I created the Faulk Family Task List.  It lists the basic chores that need to be done around the house.  Some need to be done just once a week while others need to be done every day.  That's why I LOVE this cute chore chart template I found through Microsoft Office Online.  You can download the template HERE .  After I personalized it for what worked for our family, it looked like this:   I love how this temp

Cedar's Blessing Day

In our church, it is common practice for a baby to be be given a name and a blessing in church during their first few months of life.  This blessing is usually done by the baby's father.  (For more info on what a baby blessing entails, click  HERE ). Cedar Jane Faulk was blessed by her father on July 1, 2018.  We wanted her to be blessed when my parents could be there (my dad flew in from Shanghai), and as an added bonus, Daniel's parents were given permission to come home from their LDS mission in Orlando for a long weekend to attend the blessing!  It was very special for her to have both sets of grandparents there, as well as most of my aunts and uncles, sisters, and other friends. I will admit that Daniel and I felt a little bit of added pressure over this blessing as compared to our other kids' blessings.  It is common to hear babies blessed with things like health, marrying in the temple, etc.  For Cedar, all the "normal" things like that suddenly felt i